Friday, December 16, 2011

December 13, 2011

Journal Entry # 27
Which do you think is more important, how a person looks or the way he/she acts towards others?  Explain in one (1) paragraph.

Class Discussion and Work
    continues to be centered around skimming Informational Texts.  Today we took a look at Functional Documents.   Examples of these kinds of texts include:  menus, vcr owner's manuals, bus schedules, memos, emails, recipes, directions.  The majority of Functional Texts are not read word for word.  Instead, we tend to skim through the table of contents or body of writing and then go back to read the parts that are most important or interesting to us. 


An example:  when you purchase a new video game it comes with a  booklet that contains a wide variety of information.  Very few players will read that booklet cover to cover.  Instead they will look for things like main characters, levels and worlds that the characters travel through, powers/levels and what functions the controller gives the players.  If they get stuck at a certain point in the game, they may go back to the booklet to look for hints or cheat codes.

Writing Assignment #6
We had time in class today to work on our latest writing assignment.  Before beginning, we talked through how to block out or make a rough plan for the body of our essay.
example:
   topic-I want to be a famous singer.
Choose at least 3 details that support/explain why you want to be a singer.
     I love to sing.
     I have a great voice.
     I like to perform.
     I can sing.

Now ask yourself questions about each of your details.
     Why do I love to sing?  How do I feel while singing?  Is there a particular type of music that I enjoy singing the most?  Why?  When did I realize that singing made me happy?  How do I feel if I am not able to sing?  Where do I like to sing?

     How do I know that I have a great voice?  What evidence is there that my voice is pleasant for others to hear?  Who has helped me realize that I have a strong voice?  What about my voice is great?

Use these questions and answers to develop each of your paragraphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment